THE FIVE FALSE SHEPHERDS
1. THE STRANGER
He wants to lead without a trusted voice.
2. THE THIEF
He takes through deception and manipulation.
3. THE ROBBER
He takes through force, intimidation, and control.
4. THE HIRED HAND
He serves without genuine concern for the sheep.
5. THE WOLF
He disguises himself in order to devour and destroy.
THE GOOD SHEPHERD
In contrast to all five, Jesus presents Himself as:
THE GOOD SHEPHERD.
John 10:11 NASB
“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”
The stranger wants authority.
The thief wants advantage.
The robber wants control.
The hired hand wants benefit.
The wolf wants destruction.
BUT THE GOOD SHEPHERD GIVES HIS LIFE.
This is the heart of true spiritual leadership.
Ministry is not about how many people serve us.
It is about how faithfully we serve the people God has entrusted to us.
Ministry is not ownership.
The sheep belong to Christ.
The church is not our personal kingdom.
The people are not our property.
The pulpit is not our throne.
The ministry is not our empire.
We are only under-shepherds serving under the Chief Shepherd.
1 Peter 5:4 NASB
“And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.”
FINAL CHALLENGE:
WHAT KIND OF SHEPHERD ARE YOU BECOMING?
Before we examine other pastors, let us examine ourselves.
Because the danger of this lesson is that we may immediately think of someone else.
“That pastor is a thief.”
“That leader is a robber.”
“I know a wolf.”
But the first purpose of the Word of God is not to give us a weapon to attack another leader.
THE WORD OF GOD IS A MIRROR THAT EXAMINES OUR OWN HEARTS.
Ask yourself:
Have I become a stranger to the people I lead?
Have I ever manipulated people to get what I want?
Have I used my authority to control or intimidate?
Have I served only when ministry benefited me?
Have selfish ambition, money, recognition, or personal appetite entered my ministry?
The greatest tragedy is not merely discovering a false shepherd in the church.
The greater tragedy is slowly becoming one without realizing it.
Therefore, every pastor and leader must continually return to Jesus.
Look at His heart.
Study His leadership.
Follow His example.
Hear His voice.
Because before we can become good shepherds to others—
WE MUST FIRST REMAIN SHEEP UNDER THE GOOD SHEPHERD.
THE SHEPHERD WHO STOPS FOLLOWING JESUS WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD THE SHEEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.
“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”
John 10:11 NASB
No comments:
Post a Comment